I haven't posted for a while because I have been busy finishing my pieces
for our upcoming exhibition at Rook Lane Gallery in Frome.
Below is just a little taster of the pieces all inspired
Each piece measures 10" square
There are 9 in total and when hung will
form a 3x3 tile measuring
32" square with the spacing inbetween
So now they are done I have been playing with Xpandaprint
and some stencils of fossils and fish.
I followed the technique shown by
I used EZ screens and exposed them using my
own designs. I find I have better results exposing them
using sunlight rather than an exposure lamp.
With the weather we've had here in the UK lately
I had to wait a while!
Two of the screens exposed and drying on the washing line!
Xpandaprint printed through the screen ready for heating.
I think there is a little too much Xpandaprint on the fabric.
Two of the ammonite fragments on a stitched
grid on the Tyvek, the one on the left
didn't need to be on on the grid as it has connecting lines.
The one on the right has lost some of it's definition as too
much paste was applied.
I love the fragments left over from the heating/melting
process, these have the potential to turn into pieces of rock!
As well as using Tyvek I decided to try out the Xpandaprint on
soluble paper. Above is the fish stencil, the one on the left is the
After heating I popped the paper into water and as you can
see from the above picture the result wasn't what I had hoped for!
Xpandaprint doesn't gel well together on its own, it
definitley needs a stabiliser behind it.
Finally I wanted to add some colour to the fossils.
For these two I used Adirondack Inks with a
little bit of bronze acrylic brushed over the top when dry.